The ‘Trionfo della Morte’ and the ‘Annunciata’ in the “casket” by Carlo Scarpa
Built at the end of the fifteenth century by Matteo Carnilivari, Palazzo Abatellis is an example of Gothic-Catalan architecture. It was once the home of Francesco Abatellis (or Patella) and heavily damaged by the bombings of 1943. Since 1954, it is the exhibition seat of the collection of the Regional Gallery of Sicily, with paintings and sculptures ranging from the 14th century to the end of the 17th century. In 1953, the architect Carlo Scarpa was tasked with arranging the setup of the Gallery. Among the most prestigious works, there are some sculptures by Antonello and Domenico Gagini, Francesco Laurana’s bust of Lady Eleonora d’Aragona, the great fresco of the “Trionfo della Morte” [Triumph of Death] coming from Palazzo Sclafani, Antonello da Messina’s masterpiece “Annunziata” [The Virgin Annunciate], as well as precious Flemish paintings of artists like Van Dyck and Stom.
Via Alloro, 4
Opening times: Sunday 7 October, Sanday 4 November from 10.00 to 17.20